Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer


Summer is one of my favorite times of year. For one, I don't have to go to class every day in Siberia (aka Vermont) and secondly, the activities of summer continually remind me of childhood. Here are some of my favorite things about the summer:

Barbecues. The sweet smell of corn on the cob, and burgers grilling outside is the epitome of summer. Nothing is better than sitting outside and eating dinner with your friends and families.

Being outside. Whether it's eating dinner outside, going for ice cream, riding your bike, laying on the lawn, etc, if you can do it outside in the summer, I am there!

Fruit. I love the local farmers markets but any fruit you buy just seems to taste better in the summertime. I think everyone has the memory of being a kid and having watermelon dripping down your chin.

Swimming/ The beach. My girlfriends and I just took a road trip to my apartment in Vermont for a girls weekend. We had so much fun and spent hours reading, talking and listening to music while laying on the beach. We also all came back fairly pink from hours spent in Lake Champlain, but it was well worth it. There is something so soothing about laying on the warm sand and sitting on the bottom of the lake/ sea floor.

The clothes. Living in the Northeast means dressing like the Abominal Snowman for roughly 7 out of the 12 months of the year. So when summer finally does roll around, there's nothing better than finally removing your winter attire and remembering that you actually have skin- even if it's translucent appearance puts Casper to shame.