Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.


I was talking to my mom the other day about my grandmother (her mother) and how much she has seen in her life. Various presidents, political scandals, the civil rights movement, changes in fashion, etc. It got me thinking about how shocking today's fashion and media must be to such older generations. Especially because I am more often than not disgusted by the various displays taking place by today's "role models". In my opinion, Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton, & Lindsay Lohan are nothing more than entertainers who don't always have a pole with them (but may as well). Actually, at the ripe old age of 16, Miley Cyrus performed at the KIDS choice awards on a stripper pole. I'm so glad that I am too old now to be affected at all by these girls, but I am afraid for future generations. By glorifying un-talented, un-educated people with substance abuse issues who break laws and have no sense of reality; we are sending a message that appearance, wealth, popularity, and sex appeal is all that matters.

Now I know I sound a bit over the top, and my friends tease me a lot for being overly traditional. I don't like to wear anything too short, too tight, or too revealing- in my opinion, some things should be left to the imagination. I mean, why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free? Admittedly, I know I am very conservative by today's standards. But I just don't understand how women made the jump from cardigans and knee length skirts to halter tops and booty shorts. Men are considered strong, sexy, and powerful without bearing it all. And don't get me wrong, I am all about empowering women and gender equality, but I'm not sure that strutting your stuff and foregoing underwear is going to get you taken seriously.

Can we please show more women like Reese Witherspoon, Taylor Swift, & Tina Fey? They are beautiful, tasteful, talented, and most importantly, charitable. We should be teaching girls what true role models are. So please, keep your clothes on, and go read a book.