I guess this blog isn't really about anything in particular...I sort of started writing as a means to save myself and my sanity from grad school applications and endless hours of watching movie trailers.
While I was being a complete lazy a** this weekend, I got to thinking about how fast my life has moved. I can't believe I'm 22 (nearly 23), done with college, watching my friends get engaged/married, and embarking on a completely new and unknown chapter of my life. I remember being 13 and in a state of complete self loathing (as most of us were), and saying "I can't wait to grow up." The older I got, the more I thought I had it all figured out. I had/have nothing figured out. However, if I do know one thing, it's that you live and learn. As corny as that sounds, it's the complete truth. Life is all about misunderstanding.
You cannot possibly understand anything until it happens to you. Someone can tell you what it’s like to fall in love and have your heart broken. Someone can give you instructions on how to bake your grandmother's famous dumplings, or ride a bike. However, you don't really know until you experience. How could we know without doing?
If I could go back and talk to my 13 year old self, this is what I would tell her:
- Being weird and awkward will one day be totally acceptable and "cool."
- He's really not that cute.
- All of the people who make you feel insignificant will become a fleeting memory.
- Don't ever put blue glitter streaks in your hair (WTF was I thinking?!)
- Choosing to be who you are is the best decision you'll ever make.
- You'll never regret anything you did or didn't do.
- Listen to your gut.
- Be nice to everybody. Even those who aren't so nice to you.
- Don't think you can drink as much as the boys. You can't.
- It really does get better.