Monday, May 9, 2011

Got Milk?

Two summers ago I took an allergy test and found out that my body does a lot better without dairy. Sure, this doesn't stop me from the occasional dairy splurge. Häagen-Dazs is my weakness & just yesterday I gave into a craving for some Munster cheese. The one thing I never crave: regular milk. I gave up cow milk of any kind two years ago and haven't looked back. In fact, the skim milk which I used to love so much now taste like watery...you know what. 
Here's what I drink (in order of preference):

  1. Blue Diamond Almond MilkAlmond milk is packed with protein, low in fat and calories, and rich in fiber. It tastes great and is really thick and creamy so you don't feel like you're drinking watered milk. I love it in cereal or just by the glass. Simply delicious. 
  2. Hemp Milk. Really Thick and creamy. Hemp milk is perfect in coffee and for cooking. It can have a mild hemp aftertaste, but it’s something you get used to, and it really depends on the brand. If you don't like your first try at hemp milk, try another brand to see how you feel.
  3. Rice MilkPretty sweet, so it’s probably best for cereal or baking. However, it’s made by processing brown rice, so the sweetness comes from the grain and usually not from added sugar.

Soy Milk isn't on here because I'm really just not a fan of the stuff. I've tried all different brands and it's just not for me. If you're interested, try some of these out. If you do decide to go with one of these alternatives, make sure you are still getting enough calcium. I take a calcium supplement as well as a Vitamin D daily. 


Drink Happy :)