Friday, January 28, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Ate


Me: My name is Taylor and I am a food-a-holic.


It’s true. I love food. I am a woman after all. I mean Eve probably didn’t bite that apple because she was tempted by sin. No, she was probably just tempted by the growling in her stomach and hope that Adam might have a nice container of caramel alongside to dip that apple in. Girls like food and the ones who don’t are either lying or should be pushed into the fat vat at McDonalds. Don’t take me out on a date and expect me to order a salad. Even if I do order a salad it’s not going to be one of those dainty little salads with the lettuce no one can pronounce (raddichi-who?). No, it’s going to be a salad swimming in dressing, covered in veggies, piled with meat…you get the picture. I really enjoy food. I like the comfort of it, the art of it, the experience of it…you’re probably still getting the picture. Anyway, I was watching one of my favorite Food Network shows called “The best thing I ever ate” the other night and eureka! Este blog was born!  These are just a few of my favorite things.

Burger: Kobe Beef Sliders at Prime 112 in Miami, FL. My first and best experience with Kobe beef. These sliders come topped with melted American cheese, caramelized onions and fresh spinach, all atop a toasty bun. The real kicker here is obviously the meat. It’s cooked perfectly to the point where it simply melts in your mouth. There’s no need for condiments (that’s how you know the meat is good).  Honestly, I have dreams about these sliders. Take me back…

Pizza: ANY pizza from Post Corner in Darien, CT.  I’m not that much of a pizza fanatic honestly because I think good pizza is really hard to come by. Even growing up outside of NYC, I have seen pizza places come and go and none of them could hold a candle to post corner. I have been dining here since I was very little. I remember my dad and I going there on Saturday afternoons, sharing pizza and a pitcher of coke. After all these years, the pizza has remained the same: excellent. Post corner serves Greek style pizza which is basically your average pizza but with a better crust. Their crust is thin and crunchy but with a good amount of chew and it’s super buttery like a good Pillsbury crescent roll.  If you’re looking for good pizza, take a trip to Darien. Trust me, it’s worth it!

Seafood: Sole a la banana from Flor de Sol in Manhattan, NY. I’m sure I’ve eaten technically better seafood in my lifetime. But honestly, the sole from flor de sol is probably the last meal I would choose to eat if I were lying on my death bed.  The fish is wrapped in a banana which allows the fish to remain super mild and tender when cooking. It comes to you and the sweet, soft plantain mixed with the flaky fish works perfectly. The whole thing melts in your mouth. It’s so decadent and so good. If I could, I would eat this meal every day.

Dessert: Half Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie from the Painted Horse Restaurant in Scottsdale, AZ. Hands down, the best dessert I've ever had. My family took a trip to Arizona 7 years ago, ate this dessert, and continue to talk about it today. It's basically a giant chocolate chip cookie only half way baked, smothered in caramel and chocolate sauce and topped with ice cream. What comes to your plate is everyone's dream: cookie dough mixed with a fresh chocolate chip cookie. It's melty and gooey and just about the best thing ever. If you can remember a restaurant name after 7 years, then the food was really good. 



I think I just saw a sweet potato fry walk by wearing a blue dress...